Travel Info

Travelling to US and UK


When travelling to/from the U.S. and UK, there are certain regulations regarding mandatory information which you must provide before your flight. 

Advanced Passenger Information (APIS)

U.S. and UK government authorities require that all airlines collect Advanced Passenger Information from all passengers prior to travel.

You will be asked to provide all or some of the following information:

  • all names (first, middle and last names) exactly as written in your passport
  • date of birth
  • gender
  • passport number and country of issue
  • passport expiry date
  • nationality

If you are from an EEA country or Switzerland and are travelling to the UK, you may use a national ID card instead of a passport.

If you're travelling on a flight to or from the US, you also need to provide:

  • your address in the U.S. for the first night’s stay (except for citizens or residents of the U.S.)
  • your redress number (if applicable). The redress number is a reference number issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to travellers who have previously experienced difficulties obtaining entry to the U.S.

You may also require a visa to enter the U.S. See the information below regarding ESTA and the Visa Waiver program.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of countries that are members of the VWP to travel to the U.S. without applying for a specific visa. It is, however, a requirement of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for all passengers eligible to travel under the VWP to apply for an Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

ESTA applications must be submitted online and approved prior to departure. Most applications are approved immediately, however, U.S. government authorities recommend that passengers submit their application at least 72 hours before to departure.

For updated information regarding the Visa Waiver Program and passport requirements for citizens, please visit the Department of Homeland Security.

To be eligible for the VWP you must:

  • hold an e-Passport, also known as a biometric passport (applies from 1 April 2016)
  • be travelling for business, pleasure or transit only
  • be staying in the U.S. for less than 90 days
  • have a confirmed return or onward ticket
  • obtain an ESTA (recommend applications submitted 72 hours prior to departure)

If you are not a citizen of a country that is a member of the VWP or do not meet the requirements for the VWP, please contact the U.S. Embassy for information.

Apply for your Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

Privacy statement

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area.

TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. For more on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see the TSA website at